Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Weekend in Dublin


This weekend was my fourth time visiting Dublin, and like every other time, I enjoyed every minute of a weekend full of colorful walks, good music and good food (hooray for trying 'bangers and mash' for the first time) and drinks. We did things a little differently this time, which led us to spending Saturday afternoon in the National Gallery - a first for both of us, which I found surprising but also kind of special that we were able to share it together (monsieur lived in Dublin for one year during college). After our stroll through the Museum, which is a definite must-do on my list and features an incredibly varied collection, a short trip to the discount book store got us a new walking guide for the city for just under 3 €! 



That walking guide was put to good use Sunday and led us to other surprising finds like the oldest fish and chipper in Dublin, now on our to-do's for the next go around 



It also finally brought us inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is absolutely stunning. The details in the architecture and the decoration in the cathedral is incredible and well worth the entrance. One of my favorite details, and this is the first time I see this in any church, were these little embroidered cushions for kneeling. Not two were alike, and all were original and beautiful in their own ways. 


I love this bridge/connection between the Christ's Church and the Dublin Castle


I've never been a whiskey girl, but I loved this original lighting at the Jameson distillery 



and because no trip to Dublin is complete without a walk through Temple Bar, we took two - one of Saturday night for drinks and dinner, and one on Sunday to really take in the colors of the neighborhood. These are some of my favorite buildings in the neighborhood. Don't these colorful façades just make you want to walk into one of these pubs? 

1 comment: